Main Article Content
The Fukushima nuclear accident in 2011 became the basis for consideration of the use of gas as a coolant in nuclear reactors. This is because the convection rate of gas flow in the cooling channel can occur naturally due to differences in density and does not require the help of a pumps for the circulation of the coolant. This study aims to analyze how the flow pattern of an inert gas on a vertical-axial reference by natural convection in a thermal system. The focus of this research is to study the flow parameters of the coolant with a gas phase. This research is an experimental study. The analysis was carried out using a descriptive approach and computer simulation-assisted numerical analysis methods. The results showed that the distribution and variation of heat was radially dominant in the middle so that the coolant channel wall received less heat load. The magnitude of the pressure drop along the vertical-axial channel shows a homogeneous pattern and decreases radially from center to edge. These results indicate the use of inert gas as a coolant can be considered as an alternative coolant in heat systems that do not depend on pumps in operating conditions.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Danish, R. Ulucak dan S. Erdogan. (2022). The effect of nuclear energy on the environment in the context of globalization: Consumption vs production-based CO2 emissions. Nuclear Engineering and Technology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 1312-1320.
- R. Anshari. (2019). A Comparative Study of Small Long-life Gas Cooled Fast Reactor. OSF Preprints, vol. 1, pp. 1057.
- D. H. Vo, A. T. Vo, C. M. Ho dan H. M. Nguyen. (2020). The role of renewable energy, alternative and nuclear energy in mitigating carbon emissions in the CPTPP countries. Renewable Energy, vol. 161, pp. 278-292.
- Z. Su'ud. (2014). Design study of small gas cooled fast nuclear power plant for synergetic energy system with renewable energy by employing pump storage. Advanced Materials Research, vol. 983, pp. 233-237.
- G. Was, D. Petti, S. Ukai dan Z. S. (2019). Materials for future nuclear energy systems. Journal of Nuclear Materials, vol. 527, p. 151837.
- T. Jin dan K. Jinsoo. (2018). What is better for mitigating carbon emissions – Renewable energy or nuclear energy? A panel data analysis. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 91, pp. 464-471.
- F. Koppenborg. (2021). Introduction: Japan’s Energy Transition 10 Years after the Fukushima Nuclear Accident. Social Science Japan Journal, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 3-7.
- Y. Jang dan E. Park. (2020). Social acceptance of nuclear power plants in Korea: The role of public perceptions following the Fukushima acciden. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 128, p. 109894.
- S. Miwa, Y. Yamamoto dan G. Chiba. (2018). Research activities on nuclear reactor physics and thermal-hydraulics in Japan after Fukushima-Daiichi accident. Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 575-598.
- Z. Su'ud dan R. Anshari. (2012). Preliminary Analysis of Loss-of-Coolant Accident in Fukushima. The 3rd International Conference on Advances in Nuclear Science and Engineering, Maryland.
- R. Anshari, Mairizwan, A. Asrizal dan A. Akmam. (2020). Preliminary study of inert gas flow analysis on thermal systems with natural convection conditions. The 2nd International Conference on Research and Learning of Physics, Bristol.
- S. Kosai dan E. Yamasue. (2019). Recommendation to ASEAN nuclear development based on lessons learnt from the Fukushima nuclear accident. Energy Policy, vol. 129, pp. 628-635.
- S. Zhang, L. Li, Z. Zhang dan S. Zhang. (2021). Three-dimensional modeling and loss-of-coolant accident analysis of high temperature gas cooled reactor. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 150, p. 107840.
- S. Bu, Z. Li, Z. Ma, W. Sun, L. Zhang dan D. Chen. (2020). Numerical study of natural convection effects on effective thermal conductivity in a pebble bed. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 144, p. 107524.
- Kim, S. Y., Shin, D. H., Kim, C. S., Park, G. C., & Cho, H. K. (2019). Flow visualization experiment in a two-side wall heated rectangular duct for turbulence model assessment in natural convection heat transfer. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 341, 284-296.
- Z. Su'ud, F. Miftasani, A. Sarah, M. Ariani, H. Sekimoto, A. Waris dan P. Sidik. (2017). Design study of small modified candle based long life gas cooled fast reactors. Energy procedia, vol. 131, pp. 6-14.
- R. Freile, M. Tano, P. Balestra, S. Schunert dan M. Kimber. (2021). Improved natural convection heat transfer correlations for reactor cavity cooling systems of high-temperature gas-cooled reactors: From computational fluid dynamics to Pronghorn. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 163, p. 108547.
- S. Sahin dan H. M. Sahin. (2021). Generation-IV reactors and nuclear hydrogen production. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 45, no. 57, pp. 28936-28948.
- H. F. Oztop dan E. Abu-Nada. (2008). Numerical study of natural convection in partially heated,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow, vol. 29, pp. 1326-1336.
- D. A. Haskins dan M. S. El-Genk. (2017). Natural circulation thermal-hydraulics model and analyses of “SLIMM” – A small modular reactor. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 101, pp. 516-527.
- D. Franken, D. Gould, P. K. Jain dan H. Bindra. (2018). Numerical study of air ingress transition to natural circulation in a high temperature helium loop. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 111, pp. 371-378.
- A. E. Waltar. (2012). Fast Spectrum Reactors. New York: Springer.
- M. Alzareer, I. Dincer dan M. A. Rosen. (2020). Analysis and assessment of the integrated generation IV gas-cooled fast nuclear reactor and copper-chlorine cycle for hydrogen and electricity production. Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 205, p. 112387.
- X. Liu, R. Zhang, Y. Liang, S. Tang, C. Wang, W. Tian, Z. Zhang, S. Qiu dan G. Su. (2020). Core thermal-hydraulic evaluation of a heat pipe cooled nuclear reactor. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 142, p. 107412.
- M. Margulis dan E. Shwageraus. (2020). Advanced Gas-cooled reactors technology for enabling molten-salt reactors design - Estimation of coolant impact on neutronic performance. Progress in Nuclear Energy, vol. 125, p. 103382.
- H. S. Yoo, Y. S. Hun dan E. S. Kim. (2019). Heat transfer enhancement in dry cask storage for nuclear spent fuel using additive high density inert gas. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 132, pp. 108-118.
- V. V. Ignatev, S. A. Subbotin dan O. Feinberg. (2018). Accident Resistance of Molten-Salt Nuclear Reactor. Atomic Energy, vol. 124, pp. 371-378.
- Yang, J., Stegmaier, U., Tang, C., Steinbrück, M., Große, M., Wang, S., & Seifert, H. J. (2021). High temperature Cr-Zr interaction of two types of Cr-coated Zr alloys in inert gas environment. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 547, 152806.
- Z. Tian, B. Jiang, A. Malik dan Q. Zheng. (2019). Axial helium compressor for high-temperature gas-cooled reactor: A review. Annals of Nuclear Energy, vol. 130, pp. 54-68.
- X. Qu, G. Zhao dan J. Wang. (2021). Thermodynamic evaluation of hydrogen and electricity cogeneration coupled with very high temperature gas-cooled reactors. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 46, no. 57, pp. 29065-29075.
- Q. Xinhe, Y. Xiaoyong dan W. G. Z. Jie. (2018). Combined cycle schemes coupled with a Very High Temperature gas-cooled reactor. Progress in Nuclear Energy, vol. 108, pp. 1-10.