Main Article Content
The aim of the study was to describe people's attitudes towards the behavior of reducing and handling plastic waste in the Air Manis Beach area of Padang City. This research method uses a qualitative approach in the form of grounded theory. The data were analyzed in two stages, namely concept formation and concept development. The results of the study describe people's attitudes towards the behavior of reducing and handling plastic waste as seen from: (1) the degree of public knowledge about plastic waste reduction and management; (2) public understanding of the impact of plastic waste; (3) cultural values believed by the community.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Speziale HJS, Carpenter, D.R. Qualitative research in nursing: Advancing the humanistic imperative (4th edition). Philadelphia: Lippincott; 2007.
- Gardner B, Sheals K, Wardle J, McGowan L. Putting habit into practice, and practice into habit: a process evaluation and exploration of the acceptability of a habit-based dietary behaviour change intervention. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2014;11(1):135.
- Marshall RE, Farahbakhsh K. Systems approaches to integrated solid waste management in developing countries. Waste management. 2013;33(4):988-1003.
- McAllister J. Factors influencing solid-waste management in the developing World. 2015.
- Moore SA. Garbage matters: Concepts in new geographies of waste. Progress in Human Geography. 2012;36(6):780-99.
- Hoornweg D, Bhada-Tata P. What a waste: a global review of solid waste management: World Bank, Washington, DC; 2012.
- Ncube F, Ncube EJ, Voyi K. A systematic critical review of epidemiological studies on public health concerns of municipal solid waste handling.Perspectives in public health. 2017;137(2):102-8.
- Chandran M, Tamilkolundu S, Murugesan C. Conversion of plastic waste to fuel. Plastic Waste and Recycling: Elsevier; 2020. p. 385-99.
- Wright SL, Kelly FJ. Plastic and human health: a micro issue? Environmental science & technology. 2017;51(12):6634-47.
- Syberg K, Hansen SF, Christensen TB, Khan FR. Risk perception of plastic pollution: Importance of stakeholder involvement and citizen science.
- Freshwater Microplastics: Springer, Cham; 2018. p. 203-21.
- Tussakinah W, Masrul M, Burhan IR. Hubungan Pola Makan dan Tingkat Stres terhadap Kekambuhan Gastritis di Wilayah Kerja Puskesmas Tarok Kota Payakumbuh Tahun 2017. Jurnal Kesehatan Andalas. 2018;7(2):217-25.
- Al-Khatib IA, Kontogianni S, Nabaa HA, Al-Sari MI. Public perception of hazardousness caused by current trends of municipal solid waste management. Waste Management. 2015;36:323-30.
- Essuman N. Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices of Coastal Communities on Waste Management in Ghana. 2017.
- Maharani A, Dewilda Y, Darnas Y, Dewata I, editors. Community-based solid waste management planning in the Administrative Village of Surau Gadang, Padang City. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science; 2019: IOP Publishing.
- Xiao L, Zhang G, Zhu Y, Lin T. Promoting public participation in household waste management: A survey based method and case study in Xiamen city, China. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2017;144:313-22.
- Mamady K. Factors Influencing Attitude, Safety Behavior, and Knowledge regarding Household Waste Management in Guinea: A Cross-Sectional Study. Hindawi Publishing Corporation Journal of Environmental and Public Health;2016;Volume 2016, Article ID 9305768, 9 pages.
- Dumbili E, Henderson L. The challenge of plastic pollution in Nigeria. Plastic Waste and Recycling: Elsevier; 2020. p. 569-83.
- Samarasinghe R. The influence of cultural values and environmental attitudes on green consumer behaviour. The Journal of Behavioral Science. 2012;7(1):83-98.
- Leung K, Morris MW. Values, schemas, and norms in the culture–behavior nexus: A situated dynamics framework. Journal of International Business Studies. 2015;46(9):1028-50.
- Crociata A, Agovino M, Sacco PL. Recycling waste: Does culture matter? Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics. 2015;55:40-7.
- Agovino M, Cerciello M, Musella G. The effects of neighbour influence and cultural consumption on separate waste collection. Theoretical framework and empirical investigation. Ecological Economics. 2019;166:106440.
- Minelgaitė A, Liobikienė G. The problem of not waste sorting behaviour, comparison of waste sorters and non-sorters in European Union: Cross-cultural analysis. Science of The Total Environment. 2019;672:174-82.